“Super Bugger” is an amazing custom built in 1980/81 by Lloyd Smith of Smith’s Garage in Freeport. Built on a 1969 Volkswagen Beetle with a 1973 Super Beetle engine, the Beetle Mini Camper took 13 months to build.
On his motivation, Smith told the Freeport Journal-Standard in 1981: “There had to be a way to find something which would accommodate two people and be extremely economical and reliable to operate.” Smith added that his camper gets 27 miles per gallon on the highway.
– Built on a 1969 Volkswagen Beetle with a 1973 Super Beetle engine
– New Continental tires with wider rear tires for stability
– Modified suspension to accommodate camper
– Interior is original and period correct with AM/FM CB radio
– Won numerous local car shows in Illinois
– Sleeps two adventurous individuals
– Has outside stove and propane set-up
Check out a quick video tour below: